Author Topic: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread  (Read 46092 times)

Offline yashkhan

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #825 on: August 08, 2018, 07:40:57 pm »
IMO 4.53 shouldn't be offered as it's still in Beta so I assume Dan will need to look into it. I'm not seeing anything as I have 4.53 Beta installed. https://calendarofupdates.org/index.php?topic=770.msg8003#msg8003
Stable 4.53 released on VS website.

Offline Triple Helix

• Administrator
  • Truth is more of a stranger than fiction.
    • View Profile
    • Webroot Community Supporter
« Reply #826 on: August 08, 2018, 08:30:00 pm »
IMO 4.53 shouldn't be offered as it's still in Beta so I assume Dan will need to look into it. I'm not seeing anything as I have 4.53 Beta installed. https://calendarofupdates.org/index.php?topic=770.msg8003#msg8003
Stable 4.53 released on VS website.
Yes I see that, but wondering why?
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete & VoodooShield Pro
Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor, 32GB of RAM and 2 Samsung NVMe 960 Pro's.

Offline schmidthouse

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 09, 2018, 03:05:09 am »
Interestingly, I keep get the window telling me update 4.53 is available  Yes or No options.
When I choose Yes, nothing happens, doesn't update.
This is a first.
***HP ENVY 15K LT  W10 Pro 64Bit/750GB HD/ 16GB Ram/AIS 18.6.2347 b/HotSpot Shield VPN/Sandboxie/Prey Project
**HP Compaq Buisness LT W10 Pro 64Bit/1TB HD/ 8GB Ram/Avast 18.5.2342/WF/HotSpot Shield VPN/Sandboxie/Prey Project     
*Dell Inspiron  xpSP4 PRO 32 Bit/Avast 18.5.2342/Comodo FW 3.14/Prey Project
<LAYERED SECURITY SOFTWARE PROTECTION on all OS's> Backup & Recovery>WD 500GB HD/Macrium Reflect
Do not confuse Kindness for Weakness

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #828 on: August 09, 2018, 03:24:10 am »
Oops, sorry about that, I knew I was forgetting something... things have been crazy lately.

Yeah, I released 4.53 to the public.  It is the same version as I posted on COU the other day.

VS 4.28 was not aware of our new digital signature, so it might cause issues with the update.  If so, simply exit out of VS and install it from our website, or the following link.  Thank you guys, I will catch up asap!

https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield.exe

Offline Darek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 09, 2018, 04:44:17 am »
Thanks!

This works, and 4.53 is on board.

8)

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #830 on: August 09, 2018, 06:48:39 am »
Hey everyone, I have some bad news.  I appreciate all of your help throughout the years, but it looks like VS's days are numbered.

Apparently, in order to successfully reproduce a complete clone of VS, all you have to do is add a couple of signatures to any traditional security application, and voila, you have successfully reproduced VS.  Even more shocking, this entire process will only take 1.5 minutes or so.

Please watch the video and you will see what I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQL-o0d4mL4

When we started this project 7 years ago... we did not think it would be that difficult either.  I mean, how difficult is it to build a user-friendly toggling computer lock?

I guess we will keep going until all of the traditional security applications find out about this, and spend the 1.5 minutes it takes to meticulously reproduce VS.

Since this is all pure speculation on Leo's part, perhaps when they try to reproduce VS they will find that it takes more than a couple of signatures to do so, and maybe VS will live to see another day after all ;).

Sorry guys, I had to do it, please forgive me ;).  I will catch up soon, thank you!

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #831 on: August 09, 2018, 07:00:55 am »
BTW, yeah, the above post was pure sarcasm.  VS's future is bright.  Again, sorry, but I HAD to do it ;)

Offline Tarnak

• Most Valuable Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 09, 2018, 09:57:36 am »
BTW, yeah, the above post was pure sarcasm.  VS's future is bright.  Again, sorry, but I HAD to do it ;).

Wow! You had me worried for a second!  :P

Offline gorblimey

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 09, 2018, 12:18:11 pm »
Since this is all pure speculation on Leo's part ...

Do you always believe what you read in the newspaper see on YouTube?  Mind you, I can remember the very widespread suspicion that AV companies were writing all the malwares in order to justify their existence  ??? :o  Not to mention the universal phenomenon in human males of instinctive indepth knowledge about dogs, motor vehicles and computers regardless of any lack of education.

Talking about education, did anybody notice what Leo did not do with SecureA Plus and VS?  Hmmmm?  Purely on the evidence of this video, I cannot now trust him to crack malware onto a child's computer!

Offline Unauthorized Pilot

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:14 pm »
Thanks Dan, 4.53 working good on my end
This looks scary http://midmarket.eweek.com/security/ibm-demonstrates-deeplocker-ai-malware-at-black-hat
Would Voodooshield protect our computers from this sort of threat.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:00:56 pm by Triple Helix »

Offline ColonelMal

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 09, 2018, 01:40:23 pm »
Installed v.4.53. No problems encountered. :)

Offline HempOil

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 09, 2018, 01:50:34 pm »
Same here!
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1803, build 17134.228
Comodo Internet Security Premium 10.2.0.6526
VoodooShield 4.54
HMP.A 3.7.8 b750 BETA & HMP 3.8.0 b295 (64-bit)
Google Chrome 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) run in Comodo sandbox with strict site isolation enabled and ChromeZero extension set to Tin Foil Hat (when tolerable)

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #837 on: August 09, 2018, 02:33:05 pm »
@Darek, @ ColonelMal, @HempOil… very cool, thank you for letting me know!

@Tarnak… hehehe, sorry about that.

@gorblimey… You know, I used to somewhat believe what I see on the internet, but not anymore.  Anyone who has been using VS for a week or more will quickly realize while watching the video that Leo obviously did not spend hardly any time with VS to understand how it works or what it is all about.  It truly is sad because a lot of people dis Neil Rubenking for his reviews… but guess what… Neil goes to GREAT lengths to truly understand the product, and he spends several days on each product and communicates with each vendor so that he completely understands the product.  The other thing is sad is that the vast majority of people immediately side with whatever fits their agenda and they ignore the truth.  Everyone has an agenda, and mine is to lock everyone’s computer when they are surfing the web and checking email.  BTW, does anyone know if Leo is still employed by one of the AV vendors?  If you know for sure, please let me know!

I also wanted to mention that Leo has not been afforded the opportunity to install VS on 400 or so local computers (mostly extreme novices), and work directly with the end users over 7 years to find out what needed to be done in order to refine the computer lock so that everyone can use it.  I have been afforded that opportunity, so I understand that most end user NEVER have an issue with VS causing issues or interrupting their work.  I also review their user logs to see what was blocked, and the frequency of unnecessary blocks are shockingly low.  Now, this did not happen overnight… it took several years to get VS to the point where it was usable to even the most novice of users, and we are by no means finished implementing usability tweaks, but we are certainly in pretty good shape.

Sooooo many of Leo’s points and opinions in this video are laughable and ridiculous to the point that I could seriously write a novel on it.  But one of the biggest things that cracks me up is that Leo is actually trying to convince people that false positives are worse than false negatives.  As a malware analyst, he cannot possibly believe this himself.  So what if you have to click the balloon notification and the allow button a few times in the first couple of weeks after installing VS.  Trust me, I have seen the look on user’s faces after they have been infected, and they are absolutely traumatized and they would almost always ask me “I have antivirus software, how did I get a virus?”  Word for word… I have heard that probably 500 times throughout the years.  If users can handle User Account Control, then they can easily handle VS.  He makes it sound like VS is going to block something vital and cause damage to the OS.  If he were to use VS for more than an hour, he would quickly figure out this is simply not true. 

@Unauthorized Pilot… yeah, that should not be an issue at all for VS.  This is actually how VS was created.  Basically, I was removing malware from two different computers late one night, and somehow realized that the only particle way of putting an end to the cat and mouse game was to lock the computer.  I immediately figured out that a fulltime lock would never work, because the computer would not be usable.  So then I was thinking… what if we simply lock the computer when the user is engaged in risky activity.  So ultimately, it is this simple… new, non-whitelisted executable code should never be allowed to run when the user engaged in risky behavior.  If new, non-whitelisted executable code is EVER allowed to run while the user is engaged in risky behavior, then there will certainly be bypasses.  It really is that simple.

In all fairness to Leo, he has come a very long way since his first video linked below.  Let’s just hope that he starts to spend a little more time becoming familiar with the products he is testing so that he can provide his subscribers a more accurate insight into these programs.  Quality over quantity Leo!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYRicO8f2bY

I will catch up on the other posts asap, thank you guys!

Offline yashkhan

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:56 pm »

Please watch the video and you will see what I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQL-o0d4mL4

I have commented on the video-
"This is (not a test) completely misleading. It clearly shows that you don't know the products well. And it seems you don't understand Application Whitelisting/Default-Deny security.
VoodooShield is more than a default-deny security. You can set it to alert for all new/non-whitelisted items, alert for only critical items or alert for only unsafe items. And you can do all this with a simple click.
I use only VoodooShield on my personal laptop. On my family system, I have set it to alert for only unsafe items and paired with Windows Defender. Running light with no issues here."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:03:16 pm by yashkhan »

Offline HempOil

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 10, 2018, 02:21:52 pm »
I prefer cruelsister1's videos  8)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1803, build 17134.228
Comodo Internet Security Premium 10.2.0.6526
VoodooShield 4.54
HMP.A 3.7.8 b750 BETA & HMP 3.8.0 b295 (64-bit)
Google Chrome 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) run in Comodo sandbox with strict site isolation enabled and ChromeZero extension set to Tin Foil Hat (when tolerable)