Author Topic: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread  (Read 53811 times)

Offline Telos

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: VoodooShield's Shield USB indicator
« Reply #720 on: July 12, 2018, 04:32:42 pm »
This is prolly vague... but sometime yesterday my shield decided to change to USB status. I have no idea why. Maybe I mounted something... but still today it's there and everything is normal. I'm pretty sure a reboot will clear it, but I'm wondering why the USB indicator at all??? How does that inform the user... besides.... hey... you gotta a USB device plugged in. OK... So what?

What's the purpose of the USB indicator? What action should a user take when it's there?

Offline Jasper The Rasper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #721 on: July 12, 2018, 08:58:48 pm »
Thank you Dan, 4:50 running smoothly for me on W10.

Offline Mr.GumP

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 12, 2018, 10:12:48 pm »
@Mr.Gump Im on VS <4.5 and afaik the timer always stopped/reset when you hoover over the popup. It gave you time to read all and make a decision without haste.

VS 4.50 on win 7 running nicely atm.

thanks!
--BitDefender AV
--VoodooShield
--OSArmor

Offline WhyNot

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 13, 2018, 12:34:01 pm »
Hi all!
VS 4.50 on Win 10 alongside Avast Free set to Agressive mode - which should mean all execution attempts are compared to Avast Cloud Whitelist. Ie when I updated VS Avast chipped in to block so I had to manually allow exception for VS. Now VS set as exception in Avast. (Might be I have left free Avira for good.)

- Maybe overkill to have two whitelist progs?
- VS doesnt start every time anymore. Last Win 10  update could be the problem? Dan will fix?
- I would like to see ie "Voodooshield ver 4.50 in Smart Mode" when I hoover over the icons.
- Can Malware be set to execute say one hour after arrival? If so, will Smart Mode protect me if I have shut down Chrome and Outlook and VS is Off? Is always ON the only way?

Like VS very much so far. Ordinary user with more interest than knowledge when it comes to security.
Win 10 - Free Avast in Agressive mode - Free Voodooshield

Offline Geri123

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 13, 2018, 04:02:59 pm »
Every now and then VS 4.50 icon shows "off" when selected "always on" mode on win 7 64bit.
The screenshot is after a fresh reboot, i just opened the settings to show mode!
When i change modes to whatever and back to "always on" the icon is ok again.

Just a bit irritating to see off when you ecpect on :D

Offline WhyNot

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2018, 04:19:43 pm »
Clarify about not autostarting: When shut down and started normally VS seems to like that better  and autostarts most of the time, but when I hit restart and let it shut down and start automatically VS 4.50 never autostarts.

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #726 on: July 13, 2018, 04:23:23 pm »
Here is 4.51beta! 

The only practical way of fixing the VPN bug was to upgrade VS to .net 4.5.  Since .net 4.5 is native to all recent Windows versions except Windows 7, this should work out really well since .net will not need to be installed on any endpoints except for Windows 7.  Besides, I imagine at this point most Windows 7 computers have .net 4.5 installed anyway, so VS will just skip the .net install.

Hopefully the VPN bug is fixed, but if not, please let me know.  Upgrading the SignalR dll will also allow us to do some really cool things with the Web Management Console.

There were only small changes to the actual VS code, so I do not think there will be any bugs with the VS code.  However, there were massive changes to the installer and the dependencies, so I would not at all be surprised if we see a few bugs… although I tested the heck out of it to ensure this version was as bug free as possible, since there were so many changes.

Overall, to me it looks like VS runs even faster and smoother under the 4.5 runtime compared to the 3.5… please let me know if you guys experience this as well.  You might notice that the installer grew significantly in size… this is a result of the increased size of the dependencies that are packaged with the installer.

SHA-256: 3fa2a59e81bf9d43511a5751cb7ea24d4a38bb8e3a41c9dd4ecb5cb5da3183b2

www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield451beta.exe

Have a great weekend, thank you guys!

Offline Triple Helix

• Administrator
  • Truth is more of a stranger than fiction.
    • View Profile
    • Webroot Community Supporter
« Reply #727 on: July 13, 2018, 05:04:23 pm »
Thanks Dano installing now!
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete & VoodooShield Pro
Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor, 32GB of RAM and 2 Samsung NVMe 960 Pro's.

Offline Baldrick

• Visiting Experts
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 13, 2018, 07:08:21 pm »
Hi Dan

Thanks for that...well installed here and seems to be working great.

Have a great weekend.

Regards, Baldrick

Offline WhyNot

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 13, 2018, 07:17:36 pm »
Thanks Dan, 4.51 is on and seems to work fine, even autostarted when I pressed Restart. Only tried once, but one is more than never.

Offline Unauthorized Pilot

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 14, 2018, 02:16:59 am »
Thanks Dan!
So one little problem i've experienced with 4.51beta. I clicked to install Voodooshield and Kaspersky has flagged it as a PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic.
I'll send file to Virus total so check if other engines flag it as a trojan

Offline Unauthorized Pilot

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 14, 2018, 02:34:43 am »
All good. I disabled KIS and allowed Voodooshield to install and everything is working great

Offline gorblimey

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 14, 2018, 06:52:53 am »
... but I have had some issues with the installer.  My Pascal is a little rusty… well, it is super rusty ...

Pascal? ??? :o  Last time I saw that was early '70s, and nobody had a good word to say about it.  The most frequent polite comment I heard was along the lines of "What in the name of Algol are you doing with that?"

So, if you need a decent installer, take a dekko at https://www.gammadyne.com/centurion.htm.

ANYHOO, I have a different problem.  I need absolutely to whitelist C:\Windows\hh.exe.  I have a number of programs that use compiled HTM help files, and having to allow hh.exe each time is... annoying.  Very.  I have tried setting an Allow Rule, but the blacklist seems to be hardcoded.  FWIW, being a halfway good citizen, I have disallowed hh.exe outbound to everywhere, and in addition it has never been pinged even by Avast! when I was using that.  Is there any way I can get hh.exe to run without having to go through the "Allow" procedure?  I'm still using 4.20, but I'm considering an upgrade.

Offline gorblimey

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 14, 2018, 07:09:27 am »
What's the purpose of the USB indicator? What action should a user take when it's there?

USB devices are recognised infection vectors, particularly the ubiquitous sticks, aka "thumbdrives".  The infection happens when (older) OS's see an autorun.inf file and obey its instructions.  W7++ are supposed to have blocked this avenue, but: thumbdrive controllers can be infected as well, which is much more difficult to detect before the catastrophe.

Remember the Stuxnet virus?  And how it got onto Iranian computers?  So Dan has done exactly the right thing.

Offline Telos

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 14, 2018, 03:54:48 pm »

USB devices are recognised infection vectors, particularly the ubiquitous sticks, aka "thumbdrives".  The infection happens when (older) OS's see an autorun.inf file and obey its instructions.  W7++ are supposed to have blocked this avenue, but: thumbdrive controllers can be infected as well, which is much more difficult to detect before the catastrophe.

Remember the Stuxnet virus?  And how it got onto Iranian computers?  So Dan has done exactly the right thing.
Yea.... I got that... but how is the USB shield notifier helpful? When I have a USB drive attached, VS isn't instructing me how to react to the shield change. If VS protects against Stuxnet, surely it does so whether the source is a USB, email attachment, download, etc. The USB shield notification does not help me, it only brings confusion since there is no user response available.

As I type this the USB shield notification is back as I'm using MKVMake to read a DVD folder. (I have no active USB devices present) And if one doesn't use the shield, well... I presume the VS protection still is present.

I advocate for the complete removal of the USB shield "feature" as it seems broken (I have many false notification) and  doesn't enlighten me to take action in a useful way.