Author Topic: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread  (Read 46088 times)

Offline Askmark

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #690 on: July 01, 2018, 09:59:39 pm »
4.34d working well here without any issues so far. However i do wish the "User Log" was more reliable and consistently recorded an event every time an executable is run from my computer and not just either the first time that executable is run or the first time it's allowed.

For example, I run Simplewall.exe from my downloads folder and VS hasn't white-listed this program yet so I click allow. Simplewall runs and a "User Allowed" entry appears in the log as normal.
I then run Simplewall again and this time as it's now white-listed VS allows it to run automatically and an "Auto allowed" entry is written to the log, again, as expected.

However, if I run Simplewall again nothing is written to the User log. Why is this?

Offline simmerskool

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 03, 2018, 02:09:34 am »
4.34d working well here without any issues so far. However i do wish the "User Log" was more reliable and consistently recorded an event every time an executable is run from my computer

+1  :)  a feature that I liked on NVT_ERP was that it logged every execution with a timestamp, IIRC (last used many many moons ago)  Is more logging feasible (desirable) for VS, would it slow VS down, ie, slow down the system with that feature, perhaps optional logging...  :-\

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #692 on: July 03, 2018, 02:44:53 pm »
Bumped up to Auto/Aggressive... still quiet  ;D

Though I would like to see manual toggling on Auto shield... for those times I'm installing trusted apps.

Or at the very least, add the "disable/enable" switch to the right=click context menu from the shield so it can be quickly invoked.
Thank you, I see what you are saying.  Please keep in mind that Smart OFF and AutoPilot are almost identical modes, so this is why AutoPilot does not toggle to OFF when the user clicks on VS.  I am still trying to figure out the best design for the right click menu.  It is nice to have all of the modes and security postures listed, but then the menu is a little to big.  I can see where moving the Disable / Install mode menu item might be helpful though.  All of this is super easy to change, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know, thank you!

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #693 on: July 03, 2018, 02:46:55 pm »
4.34d working well here without any issues so far. However i do wish the "User Log" was more reliable and consistently recorded an event every time an executable is run from my computer and not just either the first time that executable is run or the first time it's allowed.

For example, I run Simplewall.exe from my downloads folder and VS hasn't white-listed this program yet so I click allow. Simplewall runs and a "User Allowed" entry appears in the log as normal.
I then run Simplewall again and this time as it's now white-listed VS allows it to run automatically and an "Auto allowed" entry is written to the log, again, as expected.

However, if I run Simplewall again nothing is written to the User log. Why is this?
We could add these to the user log, but it would add a massive amount of items to the user log.  All of the items are logged in the DeveloperLog... so please take a look and see if you think we should add all of these to the user log.  If it is not to many, maybe we should add them.  Please take a look and let me know what you think, thank you!

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #694 on: July 03, 2018, 02:49:14 pm »
I am waiting for our kernel dev to finish up the new driver, then we will release a quick beta version, then release VS 4.5 to the public asap.

Thank you guys for all of your help!!!

Offline Geri123

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2018, 04:38:29 pm »
@Dan
How about an lazy option to enable in settings?
If activated right click just spawns (a small setting option) and two colums open with mode select on the left and "security posture" on the right.
And the colums don't close if i change anything. They close after i left click anywhere empty on screen (but not! on VS).

Offline Askmark

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 04, 2018, 06:07:19 pm »

We could add these to the user log, but it would add a massive amount of items to the user log.  All of the items are logged in the DeveloperLog... so please take a look and see if you think we should add all of these to the user log.  If it is not to many, maybe we should add them.  Please take a look and let me know what you think, thank you!
Dan,
I see your point about there being too many entries.

Perhaps, in addition to what you currently log, you could also just add the blocked entries from the Developer log to the User Log as they're of most interest to most people. Especially when VS's Security Posture is set to "SILENT" which doesn't alert you to programs it blocks, other than a few flashes of the shield/tray icon which could easily be missed.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:41:14 pm by Askmark »

Offline gorblimey

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 05, 2018, 02:17:28 am »
@Dan
And the colums don't close if i change anything. They close after i left click anywhere empty on screen (but not! on VS).

Aaaahhhh, NO.  The Windows eco-system has always required an explicit confirm/rethink ( [ [OK] ] [ [CANCEL] ] ) on all dialogs.  Using any other protocol--eg: click on empty screen space--will inevitably end in tears.  And look what happened after somebody gave M$ ideas following W8...

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #698 on: July 06, 2018, 05:10:25 am »
Hey Everyone,

So here is 4.50!  This version has the new reworked driver and it seems to be doing quite well.

There should only be one remaining bug… the one that is in the Nivot.SignalR dll, and Alex is working on it as we speak.  This bug only affects certain users with certain VPN’s… but we need to fix it either way.  Other than that, I think we are finally pretty much bug free… and it is going to stay that way 😉.

Our digital signature expired today, so I started using another one that we had, so the first 10 or so users will probably see some warnings from smart screen and the like.

www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield450.exe

SHA256: c27540a522e1e6359449a46f980b54baf48c3ce45fa0c7387895956a8f43ce6f

Thank you guys, I will catch up asap!!!

Offline Telos

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 06, 2018, 04:09:10 pm »
Our digital signature expired today, so I started using another one that we had, so the first 10 or so users will probably see some warnings from smart screen and the like.
Intercepted by Windows SmartScreen  :o

Offline Triple Helix

• Administrator
  • Truth is more of a stranger than fiction.
    • View Profile
    • Webroot Community Supporter
« Reply #700 on: July 06, 2018, 04:41:05 pm »
Hey Everyone,

So here is 4.50!  This version has the new reworked driver and it seems to be doing quite well.

There should only be one remaining bug… the one that is in the Nivot.SignalR dll, and Alex is working on it as we speak.  This bug only affects certain users with certain VPN’s… but we need to fix it either way.  Other than that, I think we are finally pretty much bug free… and it is going to stay that way 😉.

Got it installed and working well!  8)
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete & VoodooShield Pro
Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor, 32GB of RAM and 2 Samsung NVMe 960 Pro's.

Offline Antarctica

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 06, 2018, 05:29:43 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Got it installed and working well!  8)

No problems here either. Thank you Dan :)

Offline Mr.GumP

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 07, 2018, 04:57:02 am »
4.50 smooth like buttah

--BitDefender AV
--VoodooShield
--OSArmor

Offline Andi

• He died for you, why not live for Him?
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 07, 2018, 12:08:44 pm »
4.50 working with no problems and bugs so far...

We will see if auto update works like it should when next version will be out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:13:16 pm by Andi »
Win10 x64
Sistem Security: BitDefender free, VoodooShield, Open DNS
Browser Security: AdGuard, HTTPS Everywhere, WDBP

Offline schmidthouse

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 07, 2018, 04:54:52 pm »
Installed on systems.
All great!
***HP ENVY 15K LT  W10 Pro 64Bit/750GB HD/ 16GB Ram/AIS 18.6.2347 b/HotSpot Shield VPN/Sandboxie/Prey Project
**HP Compaq Buisness LT W10 Pro 64Bit/1TB HD/ 8GB Ram/Avast 18.5.2342/WF/HotSpot Shield VPN/Sandboxie/Prey Project     
*Dell Inspiron  xpSP4 PRO 32 Bit/Avast 18.5.2342/Comodo FW 3.14/Prey Project
<LAYERED SECURITY SOFTWARE PROTECTION on all OS's> Backup & Recovery>WD 500GB HD/Macrium Reflect
Do not confuse Kindness for Weakness