Author Topic: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread  (Read 36704 times)

Offline Triple Helix

• Troll Hunter
  • Administrator
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
    • View Profile
    • Webroot Community Supporter
Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #645 on: June 18, 2018, 01:01:10 am »
One more thing Dan...

When will be possible to choose install directory for VS?

I like to install everything in my "D" drive, not in "C".

I second that!  ;)
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete & VoodooShield Pro
Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor, 32GB of RAM and 2 Samsung NVMe 960 Pro's.

Offline Mr.GumP

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 18, 2018, 03:10:47 am »
'clear user log" is blacked out when there are clear-able items.
--BitDefender AV
--VoodooShield
--OSArmor

Offline djg05

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 18, 2018, 10:44:05 am »
One more thing Dan...

When will be possible to choose install directory for VS?

I like to install everything in my "D" drive, not in "C".

I queried that with Dan a few years ago and he gave a good reason for it to be in the C drive. I assume that that has not changed.

Dan.
4.33 has fixed the double click icon to bring up Window and not minimised. Thanks

David

Offline boredog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 18, 2018, 03:58:06 pm »
One other thing I noticed in 4.33 is when I right click either the tray or desktop icon, then the top mode smart mode | aggressive, the mode changes to another mode. Most of the time it goes to auto-pilot.

Offline schmidthouse

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 18, 2018, 04:36:36 pm »
One other thing I noticed in 4.33 is when I right click either the tray or desktop icon, then the top mode smart mode | aggressive, the mode changes to another mode. Most of the time it goes to auto-pilot.

Mmm interesting.
I don't see that on my installations. ???
***HP ENVY 15K LT  W10 Pro 64Bit/750GB HD/ 16GB Ram/AIS 18.5.2342 b/GlassWire/HotSpot ELite VPN/Sandboxie/Prey Project
**HP Compaq Buisness LT W10 Pro 64Bit/1TB HD/ 8GB Ram/Avast 18.5.2342/GlassWire/HotSpot Elite VPN/Prey Project     
*Dell Inspiron  xpSP4 PRO 32 Bit/Avast 18.3.2333/Comodo FW 3.14/Hotspot Elite VPN/Prey Project
<LAYERED SECURITY SOFTWARE PROTECTION on all OS's> Backup & Recovery>WD 500GB HD/Macrium Reflect
Do not confuse Kindness for Weakness

Offline boredog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 18, 2018, 04:45:37 pm »
I uninstalled VS and reinstalled it again. Now when right clicking on desktop icon, mode doesn't change but right clicking on tray icon, mode does change. Must just be my system.

Offline Andi

• He died for you, why not live for Him?
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 18, 2018, 05:13:41 pm »
I don't have that problem.

I'm on default Smart/aggressive mode.
Win10 x64
Security: BitDefender free, VoodooShield, AdGuard, HTTPS Everywhere, WDBP, Open DNS

Offline dotnetnightmare

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 18, 2018, 08:49:26 pm »
4.33 works on Windows10 x64 ltsb. I tried to replicate the 3 second menu issue as well as the mode being incorrectly selected. I was unable to reproduce. It works flawlessly. Hopefully this is an isolated issue.

Offline Schank873-2

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 18, 2018, 10:27:39 pm »
Fresh 4.33 installed....Win 10 Pro 1803...do have the 3 second thingy, all else ok...

Offline Askmark

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 22, 2018, 11:30:06 pm »
No issues here with 4.33 on Win 10 Pro 1803

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #655 on: June 24, 2018, 03:15:09 am »
Hey everyone... sorry, I have been wrapped up trying to figure out a very odd bug with the new self protection feature.  In 4.29-4.33, if certain calls were made to the VoodooShieldService from VS, like if the user is trying to reset their whitelist or take an advanced snapshot, then VS would act up.  It turns out, that we over protected VS and VoodooShieldService, and one of the Windows processes need to access it too.  Anyway, now that we know what the issue is, our kernel developer will be able to fix it in a jiffy... but it is going to take a couple of days.  So this version does not have self protection, but it will be fully implemented and fixed in the next version.

BTW, I noticed that sometimes when the user would right click to exit VS, it would spawn again, so I changed how VS starts with the service.  I think it is fully fixed, but I will keep and eye on it, and if you guys notice anything odd, please let me know.

Also, in the silent security posture, VS will now flash if it blocks something silently... it will still not display a prompt though.

In the meantime, here is 4.34 with even more little refinements and enhancements.  I am almost finished refining and enhancing VS, then I am going to...

1.  Implement some really cool ideas on the moderate, relaxed and silent security postures.  They are currently quite basic and not super protective... but there are tons of things I can do to make them even more secure and user-friendly.

2.  Retrain VoodooAi.  I have not retrained VoodooAi for 7-8 months because I have been busy with VS 4.0.  But now that it is ready, it is time to focus on VoodooAi a little.  I forgot the exact numbers, but I believe the current models where trained on training data sets of around 100,000 or so samples.  We will now be able to include most or all of the blocked and scanned samples from the last 7-8 months that are now in the VoodooAi database... and there are tons of them... I am guessing around 1.5 million or so new, unique samples.  These are not the number of VS blocks... these are the number of new, unique files that VS has encountered on the endpoints it is protecting, when a file is blocked or manually scanned.

VoodooAi's has the ability to be amazingly accurate and precise, but the end result is only as good as the training data sets... so I am excited to see the results once we include these samples during training.  Then again, I have always been extremely happy with VoodooAi's results.  If you download the top 100 files from download.com or softpedia and run them against VS / VoodooAi, you will quickly see my point.  I actually downloaded all 100 samples a while back from download.com if anyone wants them ;).  Anyway, the whole point of VoodooAi is to determine whether a file is safe or unsafe... it is not necessarily designed to determine the maliciousness of a file.  So when you combine the blacklist scan with VoodooAi, it makes for a rather great combo.  And besides, it is good to be different... that is what VS is all about ;).

3.  Modernize the gui and possibly the desktop shield gadget / logo with the help of a graphic designer.

4.  Anything else you guys can think of... I have some ideas too that I will run by you soon.

https://www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield434.exe

SHA256:    c071256eef0ccb4bcb73dd08ca0ae9a8ab6d396538eaf962f2f932b64e2da795

Thank you guys, I will catch up soon!!!
People believe what they are led to believe, or want to believe, whether it is true or not.

Karma is the great equalizer.

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #656 on: June 24, 2018, 03:22:36 am »
BTW, I forgot to mention... hopefully the Check Update and other prompts will show on top of the VoodooShield Settings window... if not, there are a couple of other things I can do.  It is just kind of difficult because the desktop shield gadget is TopMost, and the settings form is TopMost, then the prompts are TopMost... see where that can be tricky? ;).
People believe what they are led to believe, or want to believe, whether it is true or not.

Offline hayc59

• Esquire
  • Administrator
  • Your A Daisy
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 24, 2018, 07:53:13 am »
Dan I think and this is just me....when all is said and done
you should give it version 5.0 and have a real good blow out parteee....
 Post this sucker everywhere and give folks the best gal darn program this side of the rio grande...what do you think?

Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies...

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #658 on: June 24, 2018, 03:33:52 pm »
Dan I think and this is just me....when all is said and done
you should give it version 5.0 and have a real good blow out parteee....
 Post this sucker everywhere and give folks the best gal darn program this side of the rio grande...what do you think?
Thank you, I appreciate that!  Yeah, things are finally starting to come together, after 6-7 years 😉.  When we first started, we thought it would only take around 4-6 months to create VoodooShield… boy were we wrong.  I mean really, how difficult is it to make a user-friendly toggling computer lock? 😉.  I can tell you from experience, it is incredibly challenging… but yet rewarding and a hell of a lot of fun at the same time.

It is one thing to create a simple application whitelisting / deny-by-default utility, but it is an entirely different thing to make it user-friendly enough for the masses.  Anyone who believes that a deny-by-default product cannot be marketed to the masses either has the wrong product or the wrong marketing.  Or both.

Yeah, there have been a lot of refinements in the last few months, so either 4.5 or 5.0 is probably appropriate… but I do want to add a couple more “surprise” features, along with building out the security postures feature some more… there are some crazy cool things we can do with that.  And please do not worry, these new features will not create tons of new bugs… we are completely out of the woods now.  There will always be minor bugs when we make changes, but they will be simple and manageable, and we are in great shape now 😉.

Thanks again for everyone’s support and help throughout these years, I really appreciate it!! 

We are almost there 😉.

Offline Triple Helix

• Troll Hunter
  • Administrator
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
    • View Profile
    • Webroot Community Supporter
« Reply #659 on: June 24, 2018, 04:21:17 pm »
Thanks Dan VS v4.34 is working very well as always!  :)
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete & VoodooShield Pro
Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor, 32GB of RAM and 2 Samsung NVMe 960 Pro's.