Author Topic: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread  (Read 122410 times)

Offline simmerskool

• View Profile
Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 06:04:20 am »
Thank you guys, I appreciate that, and I appreciate all of your help!
Has anyone had any issues with VS as of today, after applying the patch for Meltdown / Spectre?

Nothing here on my Windows 10 system.  ;)

I'm clueless  :o  what's a patch for Meltdown / Spectre?  Is this a VS or a windows update?  I'm running win7 and busy doing other things today, I have no info about a patch?
& 4.15 has been running fine here  ;D

EDIT: ok did not take me too long to find out about Meltdown / Spectre. (been one of those days)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:44:10 am by simmerskool »

Offline Andi

• He died for you, why not live for Him?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 09:20:29 am »
Some info about that security update...

"An unfortunate consequence of this security vulnerability is that its patches are expected to slow down all devices anywhere between 5 to 30 percent depending on the processor and software being used. Even ARM and AMD CPUs may get performance degradation due to fundamental changes in how the OS kernel works with memory. According to Intel, processors with PCID / ASID (Skylake or newer) will have less performance degradation."

For @simmerskool...
I would recommend that you upgrade to newest OS:
 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
...and if you not upgrade, here is that patch for win.7:
Windows 7 and 8.1 fixes for Meltdown and Spectre CPU flaws
https://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-8-1-fixes-meltdown-spectre-cpu-flaws/

About AV compatibility:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/important-information-regarding-the-windows-security-updates-released

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

I personally did not get automatically that update yet, I'm on AMD architecture so guess I don't need it and I do not want it  ;D

Win10 x64 (1809)
System Security: BitDefender free, VoodooShield
Browser Security: Malwarebytes browser extension

Offline Gandalf

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:41:05 am »
Thank you guys, I appreciate that, and I appreciate all of your help!  I will read through the posts asap and reply to the ones I need to.

Has anyone had any issues with VS as of today, after applying the patch for Meltdown / Spectre?

I just received an email where the user was having issues with VS after applying this patch.  I looked at the log, and it looks like an easy fix, but I hate to release another version so quickly.  Thank you guys!
No issues here.
Windows 10 Home x64 | Emsisoft Anti-Malware | VoodooShield

Offline boredog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 06:51:26 pm »
I posted about this patch in the beta thread. Guess we don't have to post in that one any longer since the new release. It appears after MS gives the patch AV companies had to apply a registry patch? I posted a link in the beta thread.

pavo

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 08:11:50 pm »
Thank you guys, I appreciate that, and I appreciate all of your help!  I will read through the posts asap and reply to the ones I need to.

I just received an email where the user was having issues with VS after applying this patch.  I looked at the log, and it looks like an easy fix, but I hate to release another version so quickly.  Thank you guys!
I haven't noticed any issues with VS after applying this patch.

Offline Gandalf

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 08:21:16 pm »

No issues here.
The only issue i have that I regularly have to re register VoodooShield.
Anyone else have that issue?

Offline boredog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 09:44:43 pm »
The patch is only applied to people with AV's that meet the criteria. I never got the patch that I know of.

Offline Gandalf

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »
The patch is only applied to people with AV's that meet the criteria. I never got the patch that I know of.
What version of windows are you running and what is your antivirus?
You can see for your av in the list from Kevin Beaumont: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Offline ssherjj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 12:41:22 am »

No issues here.
The only issue i have that I regularly have to re register VoodooShield.
Anyone else have that issue?

I haven't any issues with the MS Meltdown / Spectre patch with VoodooShield on any of my 3 systems.

I did update computers to the latest VS v4.15. On one of my systems I did have to re-register and then it told me I couldn't upgrade because I had reached my limit of installs..something like that..but Dan helped me to fix that and I was able to re-register without any problems. So I'm good to go and VS has been running good so far. :)
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security 
Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Expert Product Advisor Webroot Forum Gold VIP  (Beta Tester)
VoodooShields  v4.69

Online scootnod

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 03:31:59 am »
No issues after installing the MS patch.
Kaspersky Internet Security
VoodooShield Pro
AdGuard Premium
Malwarebytes Premium

Offline Darek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 04:20:25 am »
Works like a charm on my Win 8 system.

And yes, it should re-register automatically.

But V4 is faster than v.3, and it's more stable.

Thanks Dan!!!
 :)

Offline VoodooShield

• VoodooShield Developer
  • VoodooShield Support
    • View Profile
    • VoodooShield
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 08:33:32 am »
Very cool, thank you guys!

I just wanted to mention a few things…

We are approaching 1,000,000 views on Wilders

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forums/other-anti-malware-software.35/?order=view_count

Although, admittedly it is going to take a little longer than expected to reach 1,000,000, because just like MT… their traffic has been suffering 😉.

I also thought it was cool that PCMag gave us an honorable mention for the best AV of 2018, even thought we are not an AV…

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

Thank you guys for all of your support throughout the years!

I promise you… in 4 years, people will be asking “did people really use to browse the internet and check email on an unlocked computer”.  😉

The really cool thing is that together, we will have made it happen.

Thank you guys!

Offline Geri123

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 09:26:09 am »
No problems with the spectre patch on Win 7 64 bit.

Any of you guys tried to disable "Automatically allow all software from the program files folders" and got spikes in browser loading times?
Or am i just unlucky?

Offline Gandalf

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:41 am »
Dan, I again had to re register VS today.
Is there something like a token (we had that before) that gets cleaned by CCleaner and causing this?

Offline schmidthouse

• Do not confuse Kindness for Weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 05:40:01 pm »
Installed MS Update and VS performed without a hitch.
Nice. 8)
***HP ENVY 15K LT  W10 Pro 64Bit/750GB HD/ 16GB Ram/Avast Prem.bc/VS/WFC/HotSpot Shield VPN/SANDBOXIE/Prey Project
**HP Compaq Buisness LT W10 Pro 64Bit/1TB HD/ 8GB Ram/WDsandboxed/WFC/VS/Avast Secureline/SANDBOXIE/Prey Project     
*Dell Inspiron  xpSP4 PRO 32 Bit/Avast (since 2002)/Comodo FW 3.14/OSA/Comodo Ice Dragon/Avast Secureline
LAYERED SECURITY SOFTWARE PROTECTION on all OS's
When you think you know, Think Again