Author Topic: On And Off And Back On The Tobacco Wagon  (Read 205 times)

Offline E Pericoloso Sporgersi

• Most Valuable Member
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
On And Off And Back On The Tobacco Wagon
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:04:54 am »
I think it was 2012 when I read a post by Hardhead wherein he announced having climbed on the tobaccoless wagon. That was too welcome an incentive to ignore and I joined Tim aboard.

I even proposed to support each other, like in "Misery Loves Company", but sadly, that flopped dismally.

In 2013 I drove to Portugal for a two week sightseeing trip in Porto and Lisbon. But in February outside the vacation season along the 2374 miles of boring highway with little traffic, I rather soon fell of the wagon.

Still, I continued my effort to quit smoking by buying only 1 single packet of cigarettes when I went shopping for fresh food. As a result I smoked only one day out of 3 or 2.

In November 2017 I finally succeeded in boosting my willpower enough to permanently quit the filthy habit.

I have now had 437 smokeless days, and still going strong. Yippee!
Though I must admit I haven't taken any long drives on quiet highways lately.

So Tim! Are you reading? How are you doing, buddy?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:53:31 am by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: On And Off And Back On The Tobacco Wagon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:23:31 pm »
Congrats to you E ! ;)
I quit smoking cigarettes a couple years ago. I did try vaping in order to wing myself off cigarettes and it worked for me and I don’t cough anymore.  Since then I still Vape and I have quit that too several times. Currently I’m trying to stop vaping using no nicotine to 3 percent. Hopefully soon I can stop that too altogether. I can say I cannot stand the smell of cigarettes.
Glad to hear that you are smokeless now as I hope to stop vaping very soon!

Offline uncle_al

• Youngling
  • ...for those in Fancy Prairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:43:42 pm »
I quit from three packs of cigarette-sized cigars to nothing immediately one day after watching a smokie die of throat cancer. He convinced me when: he lit up a cigarette because he wanted to die happy. The smoke never got to his lungs. The medical equipment stopped the smoke and drained it off to a jar under his deathbed. He did not die happy in that aspect. He passed away suffering tremendously from his affliction. I was thirty then and am 72, now. I stopped dreaming about smoking somewhere around the age of 62. Once you decide to completely stop and stay smoke free, you will live with the desire to smoke for a long time. I merely decided that no chemical was going to control me without it being worth my while to let it.

You are no less than me, so I know that you can do it. Do not let me down. We depend upon you for your daily inputs here!

Al

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:32:26 am »
Thanks Al,
My only problem is the nicotine juice and nothing else. When I stopped the cigarettes it took a while and I could taste things better and actually my smell was changed too. I was amazed how I could smell things now that I never could before and also not waking up in the morning coughing up flim anymore. God only knows what chemicals that I was injesting because I smoked menthol cigarettes. I’m not saying that vaping is the answer but it helped me get away from cigarettes and I can honestly say I have not smoked a cigarette for about 2 1/2 years to date. Somewhere around there give or take a few months. I was introduced to vaping at my last job from a younger fellow that was my lead man boss. I started working there in 2013 and it took me a while to get off the cigarettes but I finally did and like I said now I cannot stand the smell of them. I have been to the doctor and I can smell in the room if a patient that smokes has been in the room before me. That’s how much my smell has changed. Now I do have allergies and that is due to pollen in the summer and winter and sometimes I sneeze but I use a over the counter medicine that helps me with that.

I will conquer the vaping. I know its just a matter of time and I’m not getting any younger.
Thank you you for your support !
I will not let myself down or you either.