Author Topic: Windows 10 October 2018 Update Released  (Read 186 times)

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
Windows 10 October 2018 Update Released
« on: October 02, 2018, 11:19:36 pm »
The October 2018 Update has been released.  Note, however that it is in a phased and controlled rollout. 

While we encourage you to wait until the update is offered to your device, if you’re an advanced user on an actively serviced version of Windows 10 and would like to install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update now, you can do so by manually checking for updates. In the Search box in the taskbar, type “Check for updates.” Once there, simply click “Check for updates” to begin the download and installation process. We are also streamlining the ability for users who seek to manually check for updates by limiting this to devices with no known key blocking issues, based on our ML model.  If we detect that your device has a compatibility issue, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates.”  You can also watch this video that outlines how to get the October 2018 Update.

See How to get the Windows 10 October 2018 Update - Windows Experience Blog for additional information about the update, including "Improving the update experience".

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
Re: Windows 10 October 2018 Update Released
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 01:30:49 pm »

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Offline Antus67

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 01:46:29 pm »
Thanks Corrine for the heads up on this update :)  The server must of been busy as it took me 2-1/2 hrs to download (very slow) however installation went smoothed and a pack full of features for sure.
Malwarebytes
Voodoo Shield
Trojan Remover
Adguard

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 03:15:56 am »
The version update process has been changed along the way.  The object is that you can continue working while the update continues in the background -- reducing the off-line time.  Then, depending on your WU setting for active hours, you can still continue working without being interrupted for the offline part of the version update.

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 05:54:15 am »
Just a note for users that have smaller drive space in Windows 10 you will have to follow the directions below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12425/windows-10-free-up-drive-space

Corrine if there's a easier way will you comment please.  ;)

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 02:22:04 pm »
I haven't found anything showing how much free space is needed for the version 1809 update.  Earlier articles indicated that 16G was needed.

If, after following all of the suggestions in the Microsoft Support document, additional space is still needed you could also delete the software distribution folder.  (See How to rename or delete Software Distribution folder in Windows 10/8/7.

Interesting that Free up space to install the latest Windows 10 features update was updated 02Oct2018, the same day Windows 10 version 1809 was released. 

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 05:37:30 am »
Corrine, I did happen to run across a website while surfing a few days ago that referred to lower end Windows laptops with solid state drives and warned about the latest new update and what needed to be done to make sure you got the update and also posted information before updating. 

Sorry I didn’t mark the page that the post was on and I was a victim last year when I bought two laptops with solid state drives and ran into a problem updating to the latest Windows OS. If you remember we spoke about via private PM.

I sent both the solid state laptops back and paid an extra hundred dollars for each laptop without solid state drives to make sure every time there was a a new Windows OS update that I didn’t have to fix both laptops, one in my possession and the other not which made things difficult for me.

Yes, I found it interesting that Microsoft published the article we both posted on the day of the Windows OS update.

Thanks 🙏 Corrine for your input on this issue.

Offline oldschool

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 11:50:01 pm »
Using Disk Cleanup, Storage Sense & BleachBit cleans up all machines, especially old ones, quite well! BleachBit gets rid of Software Distribution files nicely too!  8)
"... still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions..." - Guy Noir, Private Eye

Windows Defender + VoodooShield Pro

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 04:27:58 am »
Using Disk Cleanup, Storage Sense & BleachBit cleans up all machines, especially old ones, quite well! BleachBit gets rid of Software Distribution files nicely too!  8)
Yes, I was using Ccleaner and after the last issues I switched to Bleachbit. About 4 days I started using PrivaZer. Have to admit I like Privazer out of the three the best.

In my first post I was referring to brand new laptops with solid state drives that had only 32GB in size. I had tried updating to the Windows OS, not the one that was released this month and was not able to get the update without removing software distribution folder. This was back in November of 2017.

I feel sorry for the people who updated to the October Microsoft OS update and lost important documents. I always use True Image before I put anything new on my laptop. Better safe than sorry.

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 02:30:53 pm »
Rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) paused for all users while isolated reports of users missing some files after updating is investigated. See known issues in https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

Offline Antus67

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 02:35:58 am »
***************************************UPDATE *******************************************************
Microsoft Has Pulled the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

By Mayank Parmar

The users recently discovered a critical bug in Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) that causes an unexpected removal of files such as documents and pictures during the upgrade process.

There’s a growing number of users reporting the same problem and Microsoft has finally paused the rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

full article here:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-has-pulled-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/
Malwarebytes
Voodoo Shield
Trojan Remover
Adguard