Author Topic: Study: Ad-blocking software use is rising at breakneck speed  (Read 2223 times)

Offline WiltedShoots

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Study: Ad-blocking software use is rising at breakneck speed
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:34:31 am »
I don't use it yet, but ads are becoming more annoying and obtrusive all the time.
AdBlock and apps like it are the bane of ad-supported websites, and an occasional bit of browser extension-based guilt for users. On one hand, no one wants to deal with ads, at least not the poorly utilized ads found on many websites. At the same time, many users recognize that their favorite websites probably depend on those advertisement dollars, and so they may disable AdBlock for certain websites. Many ad-blocking users don’t bother doing the latter, however, and that makes a new report from Adobe and PageFair particularly worrisome for companies.

Today PageFair, in partnership with Adobe, published its 2015 global report on the use of ad-blocking software, and in it we see a sharp rise in the use of such software over the past year, as well as a massive loss in advertisement-based revenues as a result. Over the course of 2015, the use of ad-blocking software will cost publishers an estimated $22 billion.
http://www.slashgear.com/study-ad-blocking-software-use-is-rising-at-breakneck-speed-10396288/

Code: [Select]
http://www.slashgear.com/study-ad-blocking-software-use-is-rising-at-breakneck-speed-10396288/

Offline DeltaOne

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Study: Ad-blocking software use is rising at breakneck speed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:00:45 am »
I think that is to be expected
A few years ago ads were alright and people didn't mind them,
Now with the huge number of ads across the internet and with many sites
serving up malicious advertising, Ad-blocking software and apps are needed,
in fact they are a must. and many ad-supported websites ill just have to fine find new ways to raise income,  :o       

Offline Data

• Most Valuable Member
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:53:40 pm »
Ads have been a problem for a very long time. I've used javascript blocking for at least ten years, partly against ads and other such nonsense due to the tracking. It's simply tied to the money, and how underhand the user allows it to get.

Know-how is still required in order to make it really work for you, so the ad-killer-uprising isn't much to worry about for the perps. Take control of Javascript and it becomes very hard, if even possible for them to get round it.
You won't get that sort of cover from a simple blacklisting tool.

Offline DeltaOne

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »
 :) javascript blocking works well
but lot of users don't have the time or knowledge to use it,
its why so many pc users use ad blockers,
add on's like NoScript's are great but take time to learn to use.

Offline hewee

• Most Valuable Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:18 am »
I remember the small ads that was about 1/4 the size of the Post or Preview buttons.  Then Double Click started up and I think ads started to slow down page loads because they no longer came from site you was at. Ads got 1" x 5" and then got bigger after that and you seen more and more ads.
I started using a Hosts file on 98SE and used Netscape.

NoScript takes time to learn but once you do it does not take much. Just go to all sites you go to all the time in the first couple of days and also checkout logging into them because you may need other Script to run for login and to see images.

BUT --- You have option to back it all up.
Keep Your Security Software Current
Upgrades, Updates & Definitions
http://www.calendarofupdates.org

Offline techie

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 03:10:02 am »
I've used ad-blocking software for years. I was a tester for Win 10 preview. I fired up the first edge browser. I really felt like I was standing in times square, with all the electronic billboards.

The ads were large and simply intrusive, more ads than content.

I installed Firefox with the old trusted adblock plus, plus a few more things like google opt out.

Since it was a preview I was asked why I preferred Firefox. I simply said I didn't enjoy feeling like I'm in Times Square with every page I visit. I prefer content over advertisement.

My dislike of forced advertisement goes back as far as the bluescreen ad attacks in Win 98.