Author Topic: free antivirus  (Read 2663 times)

Offline mark5019

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
free antivirus
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:53:01 pm »
im looking for a free anti virus
have avast now cant get scheduled scans to run
can anybody recomend any?

Offline DeltaOne

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: free antivirus
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 03:05:18 pm »
Avg / Avira / Panda Cloud Antivirus

I dont use a Antivirus my self but all of the above work well ,

I use Windows Firewall Control , Sandboxie , and Malwarebytes + HitmanPro as on demand scanners
and peerblock + Macrium Reflect home as last resort ,

Offline acooldozen

• Most Valuable Member
  • Youngling
  • "Quid Me Anxious Sum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 12:34:37 pm »
Don't know if this will help but have a peek here at Avast User Forum.....................

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=3796.0
.........and make yourself a Great Day! Cheers, Lyle

Offline mark5019

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:49:32 pm »
thank you both

Offline quietman7

• MVP
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:28:59 am »
Just an FYI for others reading this topic.

An offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.
For those who do not mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use MSE or Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2015
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Offline jasonX

• Most Valuable Member
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:13:43 pm »

A saw a poll at another forum last 2015 and the top 3 FREE AV were:

1. Qihoo 360 Total Security (33.33%)
2. Avast Free Antivirus (29.7%)
3. Comodo Internet Security Premium (19.8%)

Source

I have never used Qihoo 360 Total Security before but I have used Avast Free. I did not encounter an issue with scheduled scans on my Win 7 Ultimate x64 partition with Avast Free. The combination there is:

Avast Free + TinyWall + NVT_ERP + MBAE Premium + Zemana AntiMalware Free + Keyscrambler Premium

Among the free AV I used with that same combination was Avira Free and AVG Free. Last was AVG Free. I uninstalled AVG Free and installed Avast Free because since Avast has bought AVG it's not feasible anymore to run AVG as the engine will soon e incorporated.

Online hayc59

• Esquire
  • Administrator
  • Your A Daisy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 04:26:07 pm »
Jason when it comes to 'free' av..I have used avast for years and its awesome
does what its supposed to do!!

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP
Don’t Fear The Enemy That Attacks You, But The Fake Friend That Hugs You

Offline jasonX

• Most Valuable Member
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:07:59 am »
Yeah. Avast Free is very reliable and have been stable since I first used it. Does what it supposed to. All of my free setups have used Avast Free. As to Qihoo well have not really been convinced with it although the reviews are good and some of the malware testers use it too. To me still not gonna dive in with that crowd.