Author Topic: Microsoft Ready to Deny Security Updates to Customers if They Use New PCs  (Read 315 times)

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Microsoft may stop providing security updates to users of Microsoft Windows 7 and 8.1 if they use PCs with the latest processors.

Microsoft seems poised to introduce a controversial and unorthodox new ‘support’ policy that will block security updates for users of Windows 7 and 8.1 if they use PCs with the latest processors.

Computers powered by new processors from AMD, Intel and Qualcomm will be blocked from receiving security updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, notes the support document.

https://blog.vipreantivirus.com/vipre-for-home/microsoft-ready-deny-security-updates-customers-use-new-pcs/

Offline Gillison

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Microsoft may stop providing security updates to users of Microsoft Windows 7 and 8.1 if they use PCs with the latest processors.

Microsoft seems poised to introduce a controversial and unorthodox new ‘support’ policy that will block security updates for users of Windows 7 and 8.1 if they use PCs with the latest processors.

Computers powered by new processors from AMD, Intel and Qualcomm will be blocked from receiving security updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, notes the support document.

https://blog.vipreantivirus.com/vipre-for-home/microsoft-ready-deny-security-updates-customers-use-new-pcs/

I guess it's time for an upgrade. But the probelm is that some software I use only works on Windows 7.

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You can find better details on which processors are effected and new hardware with time dates here.
Also I don't agree that you should be forced to upgrade anything if Windows 7 , Windows 8 and 8.1 are working currently on any system old or new. 
Some people may not even know and the ones that do will not be happy. Not a smart move IMO on MS choices.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:26:15 am by Hardhead »

Offline uncle_al

• Youngling
  • ...for those in Fancy Prairie
    • View Profile
Microsoft is moving to Windows as a service and it is understandable that they want to rid older, insecure versions of Windows. Frankly, my position is to those I provide assistance, they move to WinX or find someone else for service. I have heard many excuses in the Tech Media and I am convinced that in two years, their posts will all be done in emojis. Those that I once thought had actual expertise have been exposed for their concern for controversy instead of providing guidance. IMO Win7, 8, and 8.1 are junk; although WinX is frustrating on some levels because of Microsoft's move to a Universal operating system. I have used Linux and MAC OS and keep returning to Windows because of its versatility and security. For the "old programs" argument, I query whether the individual has researched the WinX Compatibility Mode and remind them that WinX comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes. Only issues I have ever had were with 8-bit and a few really archaic 16-bit games. Just sayin'.