Author Topic: Create a RAM-disk and speed up your Windows computer  (Read 1232 times)

Offline hackerman1

• Visiting Experts
    • View Profile
Create a RAM-disk and speed up your Windows computer
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:56:42 pm »
If you have a conventional harddisk, create a RAM-disk and speed up your computer.
Unfortunately Microsoft doesn´t offer any RAM-disk program anymore.
But there are several other programs available, one that will give you a very fast ramdisk is the one from Softperfect,
and it´s FREE which of course also is a bonus....

I have used it for about a year now and it´s working perfectly, I highly recommend it.
I previously used another program, and I noticed an improved response after I switched to Softperpect´s ramdisk,
my computer feels faster.

Softperfect RAM Disk: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Softperfect Ramdisk Manual: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/manual/

Ramdisk performance test: http://www.overclock.net/t/1381131/r...up-and-testing

Softperfects´s ramdisk was one of the fastest in that test, and it´s FREE...

To speed up the computer put the tempfiles & browsercache on the ramdisk,
it makes a BIG difference if you have a conventional harddisk.
When using the ramdisk primarily for the browsercache select FAT32 as the filesystem,
because it gives better performance with a lot of small files.

To avoid problems when installing new software only change the location of the tempfiles for the USER-account,
not the ADMIN-account.
Remember, always use a USER-account for "normal" work like surfing the web,
only use the ADMIN-account when installing software or doing system maintenance.
Because if the ramdisk isn´t big enough you might get problems, installing some programs requires a restart,
and they might also need access to the tempfiles after a restart.

Remember, if you don´t save the ramdisk when shutting down / restarting, the tempfiles are gone after the restart.
Keeping the tempfiles for the ADMIN-account at the default location (C:\users...) avoids that problem,
because even if you are using a USER-account when you install new programs,
it´s the ADMIN-account that is used during the installation.
Remember the UAC-prompt asking for the ADMIN-password...?

Note: Make sure you have a working ramdisk before you change the location of the temp-files !

Otherwise you will get problems...

Move tempfiles

Control panel → System → Advanced system settings.

Move the browsercache

Firefox / Pale Moon: open a new tab, enter “about:config”, enter “browser.homepage.directory”

Opera: open a new tab, enter “opera:config#UserPrefs|CacheDirectory4”

change the drive-letter to the ramdisk. fx. "R:\Firefox"

IE: Tools → Internet options → Browsing history → Settings → Move folder, select the ramdisk

Google Chrome: right-click on the shortcut to Chrome → properties, in the target-window add “--disk-cache dir=”

If you also want to specify the size: add” --disk-cache-size=XX”

XX=size in MB

Example: "E:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE CHROME\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disk-cache-dir="R:\chrome" --disk-cache-size=100

Note: I haven´t used Google Chrome for years so I don´t know if the instructions for it above are still correct.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:56:41 pm by hackerman1 »
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation Forum
Moderator (and "undercover" Administrator) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: USER-account, EAM-full, Comodo´s Defence+ (HIPS), Windows FW, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, EMET,
Pale Moon with Noscript & AD-Block, 2 working "optical input units" & "CPU".