Author Topic: Enigma Software Suing Bleeping Computer Over Review!  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
Enigma Software Suing Bleeping Computer Over Review!
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:22:17 pm »
That's right, Enigma didn't like what they refer to as a review of their SpyHunter software and is suing Bleeping Computer!  Except as I see it, someone posted at BC who had tried three different programs, including SpyHunter, and was asking for advice.  An extremely excellent reply was posted with links to documentation at multiple sites.

See Help BleepingComputer Defend Freedom of Speech and spyhunter vs malwarebytes vs iobit - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Enigma Software Suing Bleeping Computer Over Review!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:58:29 pm »
Enigma isn't going to have it it's way this time. If they think that filling a lawsuit on BleepingComputer is going to scare us, like they did with other minor vendors and forums, they're wrong.
Technical Support, Tier 2 (IRL)
BleepingComputer Malware Response Team | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
Have you read the PDF?  What in heaven's name does the announcement about staff promotions have to do with their idiot lawsuit?  "Staff" on forums does not in any way mean employment.

Particularly through the long-standing malware removal training program, members of BC have gotten to know developers of other software programs -- particularly Emsisoft and Malwarebytes.  So, of course, having become "friends", members of the security community do tend to recommend the products that our friends are involved with. 

Taking it a step further, people coming to the forums for help are very often not in a position to walk in the door of a computer tech shop, likely facing a minimum $75-100 fee just to have the computer analyzed.  Besides which, most computer tech shops don't "clean" the computer.  They do a wipe and reinstall.  So, for these people without a lot of funds, why would we recommend a software program that will only analyze for free but requires a purchased license to remove?  The programs recommended in the forums all have free-for-personal-use versions that will both analyze and remove.

Edit to add:  As to the bit about affiliates, I cannot begin to guess the hosting costs for a site as large as BC with the high volume of traffic that it receives.  Of course funds are needed to keep the site running.  Granted, I use ad-blocking software so don't see the ads.  That said, how much money does ESG think those ads and affiliate links bring in?  One can only hope that it comes close to paying the hosting costs, domain renewal fee and forum software license.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:35:31 pm by Corrine »

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:42:21 pm »
BleepingComputer Defends Freedom of Speech | Malwarebytes Unpacked
Basically, if Enigma can force BC to take down a negative review, that means that they can go after any site asking for the same thing and so could anybody else, which basically overrides the freedom of speech and expression we all currently enjoy online.

Now our CEO, Marcin Kleczynski, has decided to lend a hand and donated $5,000 to their cause because he truly believes in the basic rights of every human to be able to speak their mind and present facts or opinions online without fear of being sued or censored for it.

Offline hayc59

• Esquire
  • Administrator
  • Your A Daisy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 07:22:22 pm »
That is pretty darn cool Marcin donating that kinda money!!
and wow so many folks I know and remember submitting comments
on this page...read all of them and enigma is trash and I will say used that program
years ago and it sucked!!
@ Aura way to go you and DonnaB and Grinler holding ground!!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/announcement/frivolous-lawsuits/help-bleepingcomputer-defend-freedom-of-speech/

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP
Freedom's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose..

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 06:32:03 pm »
Thanks hayc. I also tweeted ESG with my review of SpyHunter (and how it failed to detect any of the 68 malware samples I had on my VM, but kept on detecting 11 innocent cookies). Two spammers also registered on BleepingComputer earlier and spammed link to a website affiliate to ESG that promotes the download and use of SpyHunter. I tweeted them screenshots of both spammers asking them to tell their affiliates to stop spamming BC with SpyHunter (and they are outraged when such posts gets deleted, go figure) and also reported the website that was spammed to the host so action can be taken against it. I'll do anything in my power to fight ESG and protect BC, and so will everyone over there as well :)
Technical Support, Tier 2 (IRL)
BleepingComputer Malware Response Team | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 08:41:26 pm »
Grinler did move than tweet about the spammers.

In the past three days, four forum accounts were created that posted links to external virus removal guides that pushed SpyHunter. We feel that this is SpyHunter affiliate spam because on each each day, the two accounts were created within minutes of each other and their only posts were to push people to the same affiliate sites. Furthermore, at least three out of four of them were from the same location, Bangladesh, and used proxies and VPNs.

In my opinion this type of marketing is one of the concerns that people have regarding Enigma Software and their SpyHunter product.

What is even more concerning, though, is that two of the links lead back to TeslaCrypt removal guides that would be a big problem if an infected user followed the instructions.

Full story at the source:  Affiliate Spam is not only Annoying but can offer Costly Advice

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 01:15:50 am »
Forgive me for bumping this old thread.  However, I learned something the other night that resulted in getting quietman7's permission to publish this article:  Support quietman7 in Enigma vs Bleeping Computer Lawsuit.

If you aren't in a position to help (although every little bit adds up), please share in Twitter, Facebook or other social media sites.  Thanks!