Author Topic: Google probes AVG Chrome widget after 9m users exposed by bugs  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Jasper The Rasper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Google probes AVG Chrome widget after 9m users exposed by bugs
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:40:12 am »
Web TuneUp extension blocked from automatically installing with antivirus package
29 Dec 2015 at 22:59, Chris Williams

Google has banned AVG from automatically installing its Web TuneUp Chrome extension – after the widget wrecked the online security of nine million people.

Tavis Ormandy, a Google Project Zero researcher who has been auditing antivirus software, found the extension was riddled with vulnerabilities. Web TuneUp is installed with AVG's antivirus package, and it attempts to stop Chrome users from surfing to websites hosting malware. It is used by 9,050,432 people.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/29/avg_google_chrome_extension/

Offline hayc59

• Esquire
  • Administrator
  • Your A Daisy
    • View Profile
Re: Google probes AVG Chrome widget after 9m users exposed by bugs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:44:12 pm »
I wonder how it feels google..to be probed by others!!

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP
Freedom's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose..

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Google probes AVG Chrome widget after 9m users exposed by bugs
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 02:16:52 pm »
I wonder when Antivirus will cut that crap (with useless, vulnerable and borderline PUP "web extensions"). AVG is the worst: AVG PC TuneUp, AVG Web TuneUp, AVG Secure Search, publicly selling data to advertisement companies to make sure that "AVG Free stays free". AVG is really hitting the bottom of the barrel now, and I don't expect it to get back up in 2016.
Technical Support, Tier 2 (IRL)
BleepingComputer Malware Response Team | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst