Author Topic: Attention OneDrive Users!  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
Attention OneDrive Users!
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:48:41 pm »
This announcement will make a lot of people angry.  It goes to the old saying about a few bad apples spoiling the bunch.  Indeed, everyone will be paying the price for the idiots who stored over 75 TB data.

OneDrive storage plans change in pursuit of productivity and collaboration
We’re making changes to OneDrive storage plans for consumers and are committed to making this transition as smooth as possible.

Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365  consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and  stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances,  this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average. Instead of  focusing on extreme backup scenarios, we want to remain focused on  delivering high-value productivity and collaboration experiences that  benefit the majority of OneDrive users.

Here are the changes:

• We’re no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365  Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those  subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
  • 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new  users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in  early 2016.
  • Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all  users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be  discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.
We’re taking the following steps to make this transition as easy as possible for customers:

• If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in  excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to  keep your increased storage for at least 12 months.
  • If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and find that Office  365 no longer meets your needs, a pro-rated refund will be given. To  learn more visit the FAQ.
  • If you are using more than 5 GB of free storage, you will continue  to have access to all files for at least 12 months after these changes  go into effect in early 2016. In addition, you can redeem a free  one-year Office 365 Personal subscription (credit card required), which  includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
  • Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes.
OneDrive has always been designed to be more than basic file storage  and backup. These changes are needed to ensure that we can continue to  deliver a collaborative, connected, and intelligent service. They will  allow us to continue to innovate and make OneDrive the best option for  people who want to be productive and do more.
 Additional information can be found at the FAQ, and we will continue to update it throughout the transition.
 —
 The OneDrive Team

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Offline hewee

• Most Valuable Member
    • View Profile
Re: Attention OneDrive Users!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:44:35 pm »
Thanks for this news.

I only have the FREE version but used almost all GB the 15 GB. Was 14.32 GB of Audio booklets.

Did not really need it but uploaded all the church audio booklets to make it so much more easy for another to download and burn to save them also a whole lot of work and clicking .
Keep Your Security Software Current
Upgrades, Updates & Definitions
http://www.calendarofupdates.org

Offline Jasper The Rasper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »
Good post Corrine.
It is beyond me why someone would need 75 TB of storage. I understand they may want to back up movies etc, but would they ever get around to watching them all again? with new ones coming out all the time I doubt it.

Offline hewee

• Most Valuable Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:44:33 am »
Good post Corrine.
It is beyond me why someone would need 75 TB of storage. I understand they may want to back up movies etc, but would they ever get around to watching them all again? with new ones coming out all the time I doubt it.

Even if they did your paying each month money to some else you can not trust not to look over your data. Plus if they lose it your without.
Always best to make up your own back ups that are always there even if you can't get online and the price of Hard Drives is getting cheaper all the time.

Like the 14.32 GB of Audio booklets I had online I got copies here at home. It sure is faster getting to it too.
Keep Your Security Software Current
Upgrades, Updates & Definitions
http://www.calendarofupdates.org

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:11:12 am »
Just got this today.

Changes to OneDrive 

We want to let you know about some upcoming changes to OneDrive. On July 13, 2016, the amount of storage that comes with OneDrive will change from 15 GB to 5 GB. We are also discontinuing the 15 GB camera roll bonus.

Offline Corrine

• The Mystical Rose
  • Administrator
  • The Mystical Rose
    • View Profile
    • Security Garden
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 07:23:09 pm »
Take a look at the source.  There is some question as to whether it is a phishing attempt, reported elsewhere that it shows as being from ExactTarget Inc.  However, it may be that it is being sent to those who did not sign up by the January 31, 2016 deadline when Microsoft "relented".  (UserVoice topic with the post by the Microsoft Program Manager:  Give us back our storage – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:25:54 am by Corrine »

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:38:28 am »
It's a new account. I still have my old Hotmail account. So its legit.

Offline techie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:55:37 pm »
75 TB sounds like someone using it for a shared server, for all of those movies, etc. students maybe? If it's unlimited, you can almost always insure that some will abuse it.

That many TB of movies, I don't see how they could be legitimate.