Linked Events

• Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on): August 09, 2015

Author Topic: Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on)  (Read 39881 times)

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on)
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 06:07:55 pm »
AVG LinkScanner download link sends you to AVG Free 2015, and an option to download it from CNET.com

http://www.avg.com/product-avg-linkscanner-free-edition
http://free.avg.com/ca-en/free-antivirus-download

I'm pretty sure that LinkScanner doesn't exist anymore and that it has been replaced by AVG Web TuneUp since it offers similar features. AVG Web TuneUp also bundles AVG Secure Search as default search provider, homepage and new tabpage.

CPU-Z doesn't bundle anything anymore.

Glary Utilities doesn't bundle anything anymore.

McAfee Site Advisor have been renamed to McAfee Web Advisor and doesn't bundle anything anymore.

SIW (System Information for Windows) doesn't seems to have a free version anymore. If that's the case, I guess it should be removed from the list.

https://www.gtopala.com/siw/buy.php

I'll leave it at that for now. Once the list has been updated, let me know and I'll continue :P
Technical Support, Tier 2 (IRL)
BleepingComputer Malware Response Team | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 07:02:01 am »
To be honest I think it's both. The Apple Software Updater is bundled with every Apple products, since it's their main updater program. However, it can also bundle other programs, but only from Apple. I have iTunes at home, and when I try to update it using the Apple Software Updater, it proposes me other programs like QuickTime and iCloud Desktop. I can verify tonight once I get home by updating iTunes and let you know.

Verified for you Aura by me. You are correct as I use Apple products. ;)

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 03:10:31 pm »
Thank you Hardhead :) I feel like going throught the whole list to update it, just so we can start that Hall with an updated list, and then the programs will be reviewed as users install them, or by us every 2-3 months. But there's entries that are still from 2008-2010 there, with old programs as well.

Also, I do not mind taking the list and adding MyBB format to it so it looks better and easier to read :)
BleepingComputer Malware Response Team | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:32 pm »
Corel Paint Shop Pro X doesn't exist anymore, it's now Corel PaintShop Pro X8. It also doesn't bundle anything anymore.

Driver Sweeper have been renamed to Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). DDU is now a stand-alone executable, not a program you install so it doesn't bundle anything anymore.

For Duplicate Cleaner, from which company is the one in the list? Multiple hits on Google for that name.

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=zVffVY2PDcyn-AW-mYgQ#q=duplicate+cleaner

ChrisTV Lite doesn't bundle anything anymore.

CS Menu doesn't bundle anything anymore.

Dexpot now bundles OpenCandy that you cannot opt-out. It also bundles Opera Browser.

Foxit Reader bundles its Foxit PantomPDF Standard program (a 30 days trial).

DVDx doesn't bundle anything anymore.

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 07:10:19 am »
Thank you Hardhead :) I feel like going throught the whole list to update it, just so we can start that Hall with an updated list, and then the programs will be reviewed as users install them, or by us every 2-3 months. But there's entries that are still from 2008-2010 there, with old programs as well.

Also, I do not mind taking the list and adding MyBB format to it so it looks better and easier to read :)
You are welcome Aura. I had also asked Wingman to update Installers Hall of Shame list at his on time and leisure earlier. You are more than welcome to also help with keeping the list updated with Wingman. Let me know by PM if you need more permissions.
I'm not convinced Apple Software Updater is bundling other software... but more that Apple Software Updater is bundled with other Apple products.  Installing most any Apple product, will include the Software Updater.  If you Google "download Apple Software Updater for Windows"... you'll get links to install iTunes or some other Apple product.

Can anyone show the Apple Software Update installer in action, bundling other software?  I'm more than willing to update the list if there is bundled software with the Apple Software Updater ... but to me it appears to be the bundled, not the bundler.

Should the Apple Software Updater, even be on the list? Opinions?

Here's the list I get and I agree Wingman and that is exactly what I was referring to.

Regards,
Tim

Offline Hardhead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 03:58:40 am »
This what the new ITunes loads now.

Offline techie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 08:22:13 pm »
DivX 10.3 now tries to install 360 Total, if not customized and if you do not  uncheck "I accept the terms", you will get the famous Tuneup Utilities.

Add this one, it's not on the list
DoNotSpy10 will install Open Candy, Great find and PC mechanic, if just accepted and installed.

I have been testing voodooshield and it locks DoNotSpy10 down. It indicates it as a trojan, I believe generic32, maybe because it modifies the settings. I say keep it locked down. Maybe Fox news should test something before recommending it. It has as well been identified by others as a Phishing site.

P.S. the site has changed, the version is 1.0.2, you can now get a ad free version for a donation, starting at $5.00 US, scratches head, isn't this kinda like extortion to use the software. Either give away a free version or charge for it. A donation in this case is a purchase, without an upgrade path.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:26:47 pm by techie »

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 02:14:31 am »
List has been updated :)

Offline techie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2015, 05:05:34 am »
Sorry, I don't know how I forgot Open Candy for DivX. A little history, it was originally developed for DivX.
Based on the review, my results of unwanted software and yours may be different. I may be offered say Great Find, you may receive a different add-on offer. If this is the case than there is no definitive answer as to what the unwanted software actually is, as it can change per user or user location. Open Candy really has changed the game. Any UK or European testers, to check the theory out. It may be that all that can be said is it installs open candy and related add-ons.

"When a user installs an application that has the OpenCandy library, there is an option to install software that it recommends (based on a scan of the user's system and geolocation). All offers can be opted out during the install process."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:12:01 am by techie »

Offline Wingman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Got Windows?
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:42 pm »
Verified OpenCandy bundled with DivX.  Thanks techie :) , updated list. 
Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE 
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

Offline Wingman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Got Windows?
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2015, 02:17:25 pm »
Aero Fox addon for Firefox doesn't seems to exist anymore, unless you have the official website so I can try it.
Aero Fox addon is stilll available but it is not available for Firefox 40.0 or higher, any longer.
If you're using an older version of Firefox, you can still download it:  https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=aero+fox+

I strongly do not recommend using an older version of Firefox, for safety and security reasons.

List updated.
Member of UNITE 
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

Offline Wingman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Got Windows?
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2015, 05:06:43 pm »
I was thinking about updating the IHoS list...
Here is a sample of what I was thinking of changing:
Colorized name of product.
Changed from italics to standard type, kept one line in italics for example
Changed Update info to smaller font size (8pt or 7pt)

Event Title: Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-ons)
Event Owner: Donna
Event Calendar: Calendar of Updates
Event Date: February 29th 2008

Below is the current list of dodgy installers, if you find inacccurate information, updates or additions to our list, please post in the discussion portion of this topic and a Moderator or Admin will verify and update the list.

• Ad-Aware - Pre-checked offer for "Lavasoft SecureSearch" as your default search provider. Updated by Wingman Aug 16, 2015
  • Adobe Flash Player - now have pre-checked offers to install McAfee Security Scan Plus.  Updated by Wingman Aug 9, 2015

Opinions? 
Member of UNITE 

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2015, 09:15:56 pm »
That's pretty much how I would like to update it, yes. I would go with the second option (Adobe Flash Player), because some users don't like reading posts in italic as it can be hard. Another way I thought of is to under the form of a table/array (since it's possible in MyBB code). This way, everything would be centered properly and we could also separate all the elements:

Program name, Bundled programs, Date of update, Updater

We could also add more columns easily, and it might be easier to read as well. I would have to test it out first.

Offline techie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2015, 09:29:05 pm »
I agree the second line is easier to read. Just a thought reverse the bold, put more emphasis on what is identified as being installed.

Offline Aura

• Global Moderator
  • IRL Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2015, 09:53:07 pm »
What are we going with programs that have really popular names, and therefore many versions of them exists under different editors? Like the following:

Duplicate Cleaner
FLV Player
Free YouTube to MP3 Converter

Does anyone knows from which company these programs are originally from? If so, we'll add them to the list to avoid confusion.

Apparently GameVance is pure Adware, so I guess it should be removed from the list.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=gamevance

I cannot find the GameVance installer.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:03:36 pm by Aura »